"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

"Don't think, feel....it is like a finger pointing towards the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory!" -Bruce Lee

Monday, November 06, 2006

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

well what can I say.. we have just got back from seeing one of the most controversial films of the moment.

My impressions:

-The section set in Kazakhstan I found a little bit wrong, I think this was because I got the distinct impression that a number of the people being filmed did not know what they were letting themselves in for.. I just hope they wouldn't be insulted if they had the faintest idea what they were taking part in.

-The section set in America, I found interesting, and a little scary. In a way it reminded me of 'Louis Theroux's wierd weekends', but what was scary was some of the genuine American reactions to the character of Borat, and attitudes that emerged, in particular at the rodeo, and the part with the misogynistic college boys.

-The humour in the film lies in a Mr Bean/Trigger Happy TV style comedy: a naïve and socially inept, yet unintentionally funny guy stuck amongst people who take everything in life very seriously.

-The Kazakhstan anti-semitism portrayed in the film is bizarre; I'm not sure why it was included!

-Why did he speak Polish?

-I wonder how they filmed the parts with the grizzly bear..

I'm sure I'll think of more later..

No comments: